As well as being used for portrait photography, the Memorial Studio was used to take photos and stereoscopic views of Hastings Clock Tower dating from 1850s.
The studio premises was specifically designed and built “for photographic purposes” by a Mr Plummer, under “the direction of a skilled practical photographer” named Francis Ross Wells around 1864. The building was equipped with a north-facing “glass-house” studio which was pronounced the “best lighted one on the South Coast.”
An article posted in the Hastings and St Leonards Observer on 17th December 1881 stated:- “the studio in Robertson-street is one of the most perfect in the kingdom… To obtain a better north-light-that beginning and end of everything in artistic photography – does not exist anywhere. The spaciousness of the camera-chamber is likewise worthy of special mention, for so large is the apartment that not only can every possible variety of individual posing be presented, but groups of fifty or more can be taken…”
Around 1886, George William Bradshaw, a professional photographer, arrived on the south coast to take over Constantine Jennings’ Memorial Studio. They kept the name “Memorial Studio.”